How it Works
Dermarolling is a form of microneedling, a treatment that creates tiny purposeful holes in the skin using small needles. After holes are created, the body heals these wounds by bringing collagen and elastin to the surface. Increased amounts of collagen and elastin means that skin will look smoother and younger. This technique is great for stretch marks, scar reduction, wrinkles, large pores, dark spots, saggy skin and acne scars.
Microneedling is a procedure typically performed in a medical spa or dermatology office by trained professionals. However, the Dermaroller offers a less expensive option for people to use at home.
How to Use a Dermaroller
1. Prep your skin. Wash your face and hands thoroughly. Also, be sure to exfoliate skin to remove any dead skin. This will create a more effective result.
2. Roll in vertical motions. Press the roller into your skin and roll up and down in a vertical line. Pick up roller, move it to a new patch of skin (next to first line), and roll another vertical line. Do this across the entire surface. It is important to pick up the roller from the face when moving to a new spot. Do not drag it. This will prevent skin tears and scrapes.
3. Roll it horizontally. Start at the top of the cheek and roll again, this time move back and forth in horizontal motions across the surface down to the jawline. Again, pick up the roller and move it, do not drag it.
4. Roll it diagonally. Finish by rolling in diagonal lines from your ear lobe to your chin. Again, pick up the roller when moving to a new spot.
5. Repeat across your face Repeat the vertical, horizontal, and diagonal lines across your other cheek, your forehead, and your chin until your entire dace has been covered. Switch to a different roller head that has smaller needles to treat the areas around the eyes as skin is more delicate here.
6. Use Dermaroller on body If desired, you can use the dermaroller on stretchmarks and other scars on the body. Roll over desired area with same technique as for face.
7. Apply a serum Applying a serum will help soothe the face and also penetrate into the skin via the tiny holes we just created.
- Vitamin C or retinol serum is best for fine lines and pigmentation
- Hyaluronic acid serum is best for dryness along with fine lines.
- Niacinamide serum is best for acne and oily skin.
- Snail mucin or secretions is best for inflammation or discoloration. It can also be used for fine lines.
What needle length is best for my skin type?
Choosing the correct needling length is important to see results. If you have too short of a needle, it will not penetrate deeply enough into the skin to stimulate collagen and elastin production. It is also important to note that needles longer that 1.5 mm should not be used at home.
Appropriate Needle Length
Shallow Acne Scars
Deep Acne Scars
Uneven Skin Tone
0.5mm – 1mm
How Often Can I Use My Dermaroller?
The frequency on how often you can dermaroller depends on how well your skin tolerates it. We recommend to start slowly and work your way up as your skin gets used to the procedure. Here are some recommended guidelines to get you started-
0.5 mm needles = 1-3 times per week .
1.0 mm needles = every 2 weeks
1.5 mm needles = every 3-4 weeks
Who Shouldn’t Use a Dermaroller?
If you have any or all these conditions, you should avoid using the dermaroller:
-open acne or inflamed skin
It is also important that you do not reuse the dermaroller. Doing so could introduce bacteria to the skin and result in skin damage or scarring.
When Will I See Results?
Results typically occur dramatically and quickly. You will start to notice smoother, clearer skin within the first 2-3 weeks of treatment. How quickly you see results depends on the condition you are treating, the needle length that is used, and how extensively your body needs to remodel the affected area. Skin renews itself every 40 days, so it is very important that you continue treatment for at least a three-month period. We recommend taking before and after photos to help you document the improvement in your skins condition.